Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Fearless Philosophy For Free Minds: Some Words of Wisdom from Morgan Freeman

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Some Words of Wisdom from Morgan Freeman

I didn’t catch the 60 Minutes interview between Mike Wallace and Morgan Freeman when it aired, but I heard some highlights of the interview on The Larry Elder (Radio) Show. I later did a search on the web to find the interview and fortunately, the CBS News website has the video of the parts of the interview that piqued my interest. I have always appreciated Morgan Freedman’s talent as an actor, but I had no idea of his philosophical views on life. I’m sure that this is only a small look at what Morgan Freeman is all about, but from what I have heard from him so far…I am very impressed. I felt that these words of wisdom form Morgan Freeman deserved to be repeated here if nowhere else.

Mike Wallace:

“Black History month you find…”

Morgan Freeman:

(Interrupts) “Ridiculous.”

Mike Wallace:

“Why?”

Morgan Freeman:

“You're going to relegate my history to a month?”

Mike Wallace:

“Oh, come on”

Morgan Freeman:

“What do you want me to do with yours? What, which month is White History Month?”

Mike Wallace:

“Well ahhh…”

Morgan Freeman:

“Well, come on.”

Mike Wallace:

“I’m Jewish.”

Morgan Freeman:

“Okay. Which month is Jewish History Month?”

Mike Wallace:

“There isn’t one.”

Morgan Freeman:

“Ohhhhhhh. Why not? Do you want one?"

Mike Wallace:

“No, No,”

Morgan Freeman:

“I don’t either. I don't want a Black History Month. Black history is American history.”

Mike Wallace:

"How can we get rid of racism?"

Morgan Freeman:

“Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman. You wouldn't say, ‘Well, I know this white guy named Mike Wallace.’ You know what I'm sayin’?”

Freeman’s previous statement transcends the race issue. He doesn’t want to be known as ‘a black man’ he wants to be known as an individual…an individual named Morgan Freeman. How novel! How refreshing is this? In a time when many of us want to be identified as part of a group, one man stands up and wants to be seen as an individual.

The interview continues…

Morgan Freeman:

“There is racism…”

Mike Wallace:

(agreeing) “Right.”

Morgan Freeman:

“…but racism is not the end all. It’s not the reason for everything, ya know you cannot…I find it, I do find it convenient for a lot of people in a lot of areas to say ‘I couldn’t do this because of racism’. And I, ah, people say ‘Easy for you to say.’ Well yeah it is easy for me to say because of where I am. I mean, where did I come from…I just believe that, ah, if you put your mind to it, you can do whatever it is you want to do. I suspect that people who say ‘I would like to’. ‘I would like to’ is not ‘I want to’. ‘I want to’ means ‘I will’. ‘I would like to’ means ‘maybe…if it becomes convenient’.”

I wonder if Morgan Freeman will receive the same treatment as Bill Cosby for daring to preach such controversial messages as personal responsibility and personal choices?

6 Comments:

Blogger KaneCitizen said...

I wonder if Morgan Freeman will receive the same treatment as Bill Cosby...

I wonder if the two of them used to exchange ideas on race on the set of Electric Company. Ever hear Rita Moreno say she didn't want to be known as Hispanic?

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always found Morgan Freeman to be a fascinating actor and human being. From what little I’ve heard him say outside of the movies, he has always struck me as a completely logical and passionate individual. A man of his own mind. A man who is not swayed by popular opinion over his own reason. An individual.

It both saddens me and aggravates me that most people feel they need a race, a tribe, a party, a pack, a family or a gang. This is simply an ancient face that the weak hide behind to cope with their own insecurities. An individual should be able to stand on one’s own and have his/her own ideas.

Race, nationality, gender and sexuality are all details that give this world it’s flavor. And in a world where we want equality, special privilege to special interests negates the idea in itself.

Freeman was absolutely right about racism. To stop making an issue out of it would make it no longer an issue.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... one more thing. Deep Impact was a really bad movie, but Morgan Freeman should run for president. Politics is an actor's market these days.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I knew I liked Morgan Freeman. I will probably be put in the catagory with Bill Cosby.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Stephen Littau said...

Don’t misunderstand me James, I am not impressed with Morgan Freeman because he is a celebrity, I am impressed with his attitude and approach to life. If this had been an interview Joe Sixpack, I would have been equally impressed and would have written about his words of wisdom instead. Celebrities in general do not impress me. Many of them use their celebrity to advance causes they know little about and preach to us ‘little people’ about how we should live our lives (meanwhile, the vast majority of celebrities’ personal lives are very screwed up; why do we take these people more seriously than the average person?). Having said that, there are many individual celebrities that are very articulate and deserve to be acknowledged when they stand up to the Hollywood establishment. Celebrities should be viewed as individuals just as anybody else.

Mar, it is great to hear from you (Mar is my brother, go check out his website MarOmega.com to see some of his amazing artwork). I agree with all of your points. The concept of the individual is under attack by many different fronts. Political parties, religions, governments, and social movements tend to not like individuals. Individuals are harder to control than people who are more comfortable being identified as part of a group. Individuals think more, well, independently and are not as easily swayed by slogans, talking points, or dogma.

As to whether or not Morgan Freeman should run for president…I’m not quite ready to endorse him just yet. I need to know more about him, though I much prefer his ‘it takes an individual’ philosophy to Hillary Clinton’s ‘it takes a village’ nonsense. I also agree with you about the acting skills one needs to be a successful politician. There is a great deal of theatrics involved in politics. Some go as far as to say that politics is the ‘Hollywood’ for the ugly.

5:22 PM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2015-12-19keyun
tory burch outlet
michael kors outlet sale
adidas originals store
sunglasses oakley
uggs for sale
michael kors outlet
uggs outlet
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
prada handbags
tory burch
abercrombie fitch
toms outlet
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
ed hardy outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
coach clearance
nike air max
coach outlet online
prada
concord 11
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet online
tiffany jewelry
louboutin femme
uggs for sale
ugg outlet
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet
beats by dre
louis vuitton
lebron 12
ugg boots sale
toms
hollister
louis vuitton handbags

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
devry university