Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Fearless Philosophy For Free Minds: Beam Me Up Scotty!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Beam Me Up Scotty!

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said that he is declaring victory in cutting much of the fat out of the federal budget. I kid you not. The House Majority Leader actually said that about this congressional term.

DeLay told reporters:



My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with any yet…


[…]

Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down pretty good.

Huh? Have I slipped into some sort of alternate reality? Either I have or Mr. DeLay has. In the reality I know, ther Republican-led congress has been a huge dissappiontment; especially where pork barrel spending is concerned. The spending we are talking about is non-military and non-Homeland Security spending.

DeLay says he’s looking for some ‘offsets’ (which I assume he means budget cuts). Let me see if I can offer a few suggestions:


Cancel the wasteful spending in the $128 billion transportation bill. This bill includes funding a bridge in Alaska which very few tax payers will ever have use of, $450,000 for Bean’s Café in Anchorage, flowers for the Ronald Reagan freeway in California (the Gipper must be spinning in his grave), and much, much more. Mr. DeLay can read the report from Citizens Against Government Waste if he needs more suggestions.

He could stop funding the war on drugs. Yeah, that’s going to happen.

Mr. DeLay could also stop funding the Endowment for the Arts, Amtrack, Americorp, and many other pet projects and spending which goes well beyond what the U.S. Constitution (you know, that pesky old thing) allows.

I hope DeLay’s constituants are paying attention to what he is saying here. Under his leadership, the Republican-led House has definatley proven that the Republican Party is not the party of limited government (the same can be said about the Senate Republicans and our Republican President). I certainly hope a Libertarian leaning Republican runs against DeLay but I doubt it. In any event, he does not deserve another term.

Let me ask my Republican readers out there: What does the Republican Party stand for? It is not a smaller and more efficient government. What are they doing about personal property rights? I don’t see any of them racing to do anything about the disasterous Kelo decision which effectivley says that government can take your property whenever the hell it feels like it!

Oh, I almost forgot. The Republican Party does stand for passing laws restricting individual liberty in the name of ‘family values,’ thanks to the therocrats of the Christian Right. And let’s not forget about McCain-Fiengold and its impacts on free speech during an election cycle.

If the Republican Party is better for individual liberty than the Democrat Party, it isn’t by much. Republicans control 2 of the 3 branches (arguably 3) of government yet the spending rivals that of Johnson’s ‘Great Society’ era spending.

The liberty-loving people who want fiscally responsible government have almost no representation in Washington. The Republican House has done a good job of cutting out the pork from the 2006 budget? Beam me up Scotty!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Littau said...

Wow, you are right down the middle! Where did you find that quiz?

My blogrolls are still a work in progress. I wasn't exactly sure where to put you to be honest. Maybe I'll put you under 'philosophy, science, and religion' or find another category that would represent you better. I can only have up to 10 blogrolls so I am going to have to be creative. I'm not crazy about the labels the politicos use because they are not accurate in my view (notice I didn't use the terms 'conservative' or 'liberal' because I am more comfortable with the terms Left and Right. It's probably not much of an improvement).

There are others I have listed that I'm not all that sure of as well. If anyone else would like me to change the category you are listed under, drop me a line either here or in my email.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
devry university