Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Fearless Philosophy For Free Minds: A Call to Action

Friday, June 24, 2005

A Call to Action

“The theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property.” -Karl Marx

Maybe we are not quite to this point yet but surely we are a lot closer to realizing Karl Marx’s dream in America with the Kelo decision that SCOTUS handed down yesterday. The significance of this decision to the future of this country cannot be overstated, but what more can I possibly say that has not already been said?

In my last post, I advocated the need for an amendment to the Constitution to clarify and restrict the use of eminent domain to legitimate functions of government. I am well aware that amending the Constitution is a very difficult process (as it should be). There have been around 10,000 attempts to amend the Constitution since its adoption but only 27 been adopted.

Even with these odds, I believe that the outrage from the American public will continue to grow. The solution is not to elect more Republicrats, the solution is to take action now. This issue is not one in which I am content in merely writing another post for my blog. Brad Warbainy asked me if there was anything more he could do to push this movement to amend the Constitution. For the time being, I’m not exactly sure what avenue we should take but I am open to suggestion.

In the mean time, I want everyone who reads these words to please call or write their representative and their senators and put them on notice. This is not the time to support politicians based on political affiliation; this issue is one that strikes at the very heart of what it means to be an American.

Also, Eric Cowperthwaite and NZ Bear are putting together a movement of sorts to deal with this issue and I have offered to help. There will be undoubtedly other efforts in the works. I will link any resources I find to my site and pass on whatever information that I think will be of value. With the brain trust of all our readers and our collective efforts, perhaps we can make a difference. It’s worth a try right?

Note to readers: As I mentioned in my best of post, my availability will be limited in the weeks ahead but I will be back. Until that time comes, I will continue to update the content on this site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
devry university